Department of Physiology
Human Physiology deals with the study of functions and mechanisms working within the organ systems. The subject of Physiology is being taught in the first two years of under graduate M.B.B.S course at Shifa College of Medicine. The subject is being taught in an integrated modular curricular system where the function of a system is taught in co- relation with the structural details (Anatomy) and biochemical aspects (Biochemistry). The Department of Physiology has been striving to impart high-quality basic education to its medical students. The goal is to help students develop the ability to think critically and apply basic principles of Physiology to solve problems related to health and disease in Pakistan and to train them as competent physicians and researchers for tomorrow.
The Physiology laboratory is well equipped with the latest and modern apparatus and instruments like Power lab, Spiro lab, Spirometer, Binocular microscopes, Ophthalmoscope, Perimeter, PEF meter, Centrifuge, ECG machine etc. The laboratory is also provided with overhead projector and multimedia facilities to help students benefit maximally from the experimental work.
The Department is also recognized for postgraduate FCPS training in Physiology since 2002. So far ten postgraduate students have passed out, adding to the prestige of the institution. Three FCPS residents are currently undergoing training under the supervision of Dr. Riffat Shafi (Professor and Head of the Department, Physiology). The Department is actively involved in research. This includes the comprehensive research carried out by the postgraduate students as a prerequisite for their FCPS qualification, as well as research carried out by faculty members in the fields of Clinical Physiology and Medical Education. The mission is to promote and establish a research environment, which is conducive to learning and creating new knowledge.
- Effect of Kisspeptin on serum prolactin and gonadotropins level in BALB-c mice with induced chronic stress. JCPSP. 2018; 29: 41-44 (Ifra Ashraf, Irum Rehman, Khurram Irshad, Riffat Shafi)
- Effect of recombinant irisin on body mass index, serum insulin, luteinizing hormone and testosterone levels in obese female BALB/c mice. JCPSP. 2019; 29: 736-740 (Sadaf Majeed, Riffat Shafi, Hira Moin, Ifra Ashraf, Khurram Irshad, Affroze Liaquat)
- Prevalence, knowledge, attitude and practices towards premenstrual syndrome among university students in Islamabad and its impact on their daily life. RMJ. 2019; 44: 588- 593 (Sadaf Majeed, Hira Moin, Riffat Shafi, Khurram Irshad, Ifra Ashraf, Kholood Janjua)
- Effect of tribulus terrestris on nifedipine induced changes on morphology of testis. RMJ. 2018; 43: 767-771 (Qaiser Aziz, Shazia Muazam, Sidra Hamid, Humaira Fayyaz Khan, Riffat Shafi, Hussain Ali)
- Effect of almond and atenolol on serum luteinizing hormone in male BALB-c mice. PJP, 2018; 14: 37-40 (Irum Rehman, Ifra Ashraf, Shakir Khan, Farheen Masood)
- Dr. Riffat Shafi (Professor and Head of Department), presented a paper) “A study of usefulness of feedback on knowledge based assessment and using the results to develop a future design” at the 16 TH BIENNIAL CONFERENCE of PAKISTAN PHYSIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (Supplementary)held at Azad Jammu Kashmir Medical College, June, 2019.
- Dr.Riffat Shafi presented a poster “Effectiveness of Feedback on knowledge based assessment” at 1st National Scientific Congress held by Shifa International Hospital and Shifa Tameer-e-Millat University Islamabad, December, 2018) (Received 1st Prize on poster presentation).
- Dr. Riffat Shafi presented an oral presentation on “Impact of faculty development program on academic excellence at Shifa College of Medicine” at ICME 2015, international conference on medical education, future challenges in health professions education, in Istanbul, Turkey, October, 2015.
- Dr. Sadaf Majeed (Assistant Professor, Physiology), one of the faculty members, presented a poster “Prevalence, knowledge, attitude and practices towards premenstrual syndrome among university students in Islamabad and its impact on their daily life”at the 16 TH BIENNIAL CONFERENCE of PAKISTAN PHYSIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (Supplementary) held at Azad Jammu Kashmir Medical College, June, 2019.
- Dr Sadaf Majeed was awarded with “The Best Resident Physiology” award at the 5 th Resident Evening held at Shifa International Hospital in April, 2018.
- The whole faculty attended the 16TH BIENNIAL CONFERENCE of PAKISTAN PHYSIOLOGICAL SOCIETY held at Azad Jammu Kashmir Medical College, June, 2019.
- Dr. Riffat Shafi attended the 6 th ICME held in October 2019 at Pak-China Centre, Islamabad, organized by Riphah International University.
- Dr. Riffar Shafi passed MHPE in 2018 (Master’s in Health Professions Education: Accreditation and Assessment, by CenMEDIC for FAIMER / Keele University UK)
- Dr. Ifra Ashraf passed FCPS Physiology in 2016.
- Dr. Sadaf Majeed passed FCPS Physiology in 2018.
- Prevalence and associated factors of burnout syndrome among medical students in an integrated modular curriculum.
- Effect of analogue of humanin on streptozotocin induced diabetic nephropathy in Sprague dawley rats.
- Factors influencing breast feeding practice in mothers coming to a tertiary care hospital in the capital of Pakistan.
- Faculty development program: Way to excellence. Using concept maps for improved learning.
- Introduction of “Socrative” (an online audience response system) as a formative assessment tool in undergraduate medical education.
- Effect of Adropin on gentamycin induced acute kidney injury in Sprague dawley rats.
- The Department also plans to contribute to the field of Physiology by continuing the quality postgraduate training and adding to the pool of learned and knowledgeable physiologists in Pakistan.
Dr. Riffat Shafi
MBBS, FCPS, Fellow FAIMER, MHPE (Keele UK)
PMDC # 2208-N
Faclty Reg. # 554/2208-N/M
Dr. Ifra Ashraf
MBBS, FCPS (Physiology)
PMDC # 48695-P
Faclty Reg. # 8851/48695-P/M
Dr. Sadaf Majeed
MBBS , FCPS (Physiology)
PMDC # 43876-P
Faclty Reg. # 9030/43876-P/M
Dr. Nilofer Nasir
PMDC # 73186-P
Faclty Reg. #28986/73186-P/M
Dr. Hira Moin
PMDC # 72667-P
Faclty Reg. #21590/72667-P/M
Dr. Umar Mehmood
PMDC # 93627-P
Faclty Reg. #
Dr Ammara Yousaf
PMDC # 78361-P
Faclty Reg. #
Dr Sana Shahid
PMDC # 79696-P
Faclty Reg. # 33110/79696-P/M
Dr. Qurat ul ain Ashfaq
PMDC # 4613-AJK
Faclty Reg. # 33131/4613-AJK/M
Dr Sampana Fatima
PMDC # 90691-P
Faclty Reg. # 30399/90691-P/M